Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

M1 Garand Reloading

Hi everyone, just starting a thread that will keep all of the milsurp guys entertained.

I have loaded for my M1 Garand before, but I’m always looking to expand my knowledge base, and I curious as to how everyone else is gathering their data. Previously I was just using Nosler load data at the time and have now officially shot the last of that ammo. I have the Hornady 10th, have copies everything from “Master Po”, and the old NRA article from the 80’s. I have a stash of HXP, and commercial brass, and was curious to what everyone else was doing.
    Last edited by RogerT; 08-20-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Renaming post to M1 Garand reloading

Title
    Premium Member
    IMR 4895 for powder , Bullets from 147 to 168 grain, and mostly commercial brass but do have a batch of LC match brass for when I want to get serious. I wish I could get some of the 173 grain bullets LC used to use in their match ammo, nothing shot like them.

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome that’s my general practice as well, I have a box of the 173gr match ammo from 1967 left, but I’m saving that just as a collector item. I shot some if it years ago, and my rifle just liked standard M2 ball better. I also have a bandolier of M2AP with a TW53 headstamp, supposed to be the first safe year as far as corrosive primers go. I had considered working up a load using 175SMK’s but figured it wouldn’t be worth it because of how the rifle shot with the 173 match ammo. The rifle also really liked 150 and 168 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Title
    Premium Member

Military Surplus Rifles

I got my info from the CMP forum post, Hornady book, that NRA article you mentioned and worked up several. For the 300 yd shooting I do, 150FMJBT, Hornady typically, with 46 gr of IMR4895 or 4064 is great. I use LC or HXP brass. I do not crimp, never seen a need. I load close to the lands. As with most semi-autos, I full length resize. CCI200 primers
    Last edited by Stew15948; 08-17-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Stew, what are you loading for your Sweedes? I used to do well in matches shooting 120 grain SMKs(mostly because everyone says the Sweedes do not shoot them well) . Lately I have been loading Nosler CC 140 grain over IMR4831

Title
    Premium Member
    Sorry everyone, I should’ve named this M1 Garand reloading, and not Mil Surp, my bad.

Title
    Administrator
    I fixed the title for you

Quote Originally Posted by RogerT View Post
    Sorry everyone, I should’ve named this M1 Garand reloading, and not Mil Surp, my bad.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Wes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    Stew, what are you loading for your Sweedes?
    I’ll start a new thread on 6.5x55 later tonight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew15948 View Post
    I’ll start a new thread on 6.5x55 later tonight
    Awesome. I don’t have one, but I look forward to reading about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk